Jen Bekman Gallery is located at 6 Spring Street, between Elizabeth + Bowery.
Jen Bekman Gallery, the innovative and critically-acclaimed Lower East Side gallery is looking for an ambitious, sales-oriented self-starter to begin working immediately as our Assistant Director.
We are seeking someone who can take initiative, handle diverse responsibilities and challenges, and tackle tasks beyond (and sometimes beneath) their skill set. This is an amazing opportunity, so naturally we're seeking an amazing person to fill the role; that person is experienced, independent, imaginative, inventive, and enthusiastic. S/he prefers the path less traveled, and isn’t afraid to do things differently if it means doing them better.
About the job:
• We want people to live with art, which means that selling artwork is your primary focus.
o Our inventory is top-notch: intelligent, sellable, and affordable. Browse our artists page to get an idea.
o Since opening five years ago, Jen Bekman Gallery has established itself as one of the best destinations for emerging collectors and has garnered tons of excellent press in the process.
o All this press has made Jen Bekman a recognized and accessible brand. (See what we meant when we said this was an *amazing* opportunity?)
• This is a full time position. Your work week will be Tues.–Sat. or Weds.-Sun., depending on the season.
• Day to day gallery operations include: interacting with new and existing clients, being a liaison for corporate collections, applying to and preparing for art fairs, managing gallery staff and scheduling, managing artist relations and supervising/coordinating all aspects of the gallery's exhibition program including installations and de-installs, opening receptions and events, and public relations.
• Some travel will be required.
• Compensation is based on experience and includes performance-based bonuses.
• NYC gallery experience is preferred
• Possess strong sales skills (and a good Rolodex won’t hurt)
• Are knowledgeable about contemporary art and photography and are particularly enthusiastic (read: passionate) about working with emerging artists
• Have excellent written and verbal skills
• Must be exceptionally organized, detail oriented, and able to multitask
• Are web savvy. Flickr is your friend. You're no stranger to Facebook, you read way too many blogs, and maybe you even have one of your own
• Are proficient in Mac-based productivity applications
• Are independent, self-starter, able to manage people, projects, and tasks (Did we mention that already? It's important.)
• Have stellar interpersonal skills
• Are professional and polished
Jen Bekman Gallery (est. 2003) exhibits the work of emerging artists in the mediums of photography, works on paper, paintings, and mixed media. Jen Bekman Projects, Inc., which evolved from the gallery, is a unique organization encompassing a diverse array of projects and programs including 20x200 and Hey, Hot Shot! Innovation, creativity, and a commitment to supporting emerging artists and collectors alike are at the core of all our endeavors. Our objectives and interests extend beyond the scope of the traditional white cube gallery, creating an inimitable working environment and innumerable opportunities for growth.
Does this sound like your dream job? (It should!)
To be considered for the position, please be sure to follow our guidelines below when inquiring:
• Check out our websites. Let us know what interests you about Jen Bekman Projects and why you are uniquely qualified for the job.
• Please don’t send us a boilerplate cover letter. Or address us as Sir. Details count.
• Include your cover letter and resume in the body of the email. Got fancy formatting to show off? Feel free to include an attachment as well.
• Email email@example.com with the subject "Last name, First name, Assistant Director"
• Tell us when you are available to start working: the sooner, the better
• Do not call the gallery in regards to your application. Seriously, no phone calls. We'll get back to qualified candidates as quickly as possible.
We look forward to learning more about you.